Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving soul style!!!!

Hola!!!
I hope everyone enjoyed their thanksgivings and had lots of Turkey and other food that makes you want to fall into a small coma. Here in Harlem for Thanksgiving we got invited to lunch at a members house named Bro. Keitt. He is a really good man and feeds us lunch every thursday so for last thursday he had is home attendant (Estelle) make us a Thanksgiving feast. It was all so good I went back for seconds but that mistake cost me dearly throughout the day. Later that night we got invited to a feast at another members house (The Silvera's) and the food was so so so so good that once again I ate way too much. Then we went to Sister Watson's house who is a really good cook and she fed us once again. This time though instead of the normal Turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberries, thanksgiving food items she cooked Soul Food!!! Now I don't know how many of you have had soul food but if you have you know what I'm talking about, Its so weird!!! We had fish and curried goat, shrimp, collard greens, oxtail, macaroni and cheese, fried turkey, and a few other things I can't remember. All the food was delicious and cooked to perfection it was just weird to have different stuff on Thanksgiving, it was definitley an adventure to eat at her house though. Then after Sister Watson's house we went to the Gilmore's house and had pie which was unique and delicious, I have never had cranberry pie before but now its one of my favorites. After that I was done, I couldn't eat anymore and just wanted to sleep for 3 days. Unfortunately I could only sleep 8 hours and then back to hitting the pavement.
I love serving a mission and would never take back the choice to serve, it has been a huge blessing in my life to help me to come closer to Christ and understand the plan of Salvation just a little bit more. Every morning I get a couple hours to study the scriptures and make sure I am ready to help the people resolve concerns in their life and bring them closer to Christ. Yesterday I was reading in Alma 26 where it talks about how mission work is only accomplished through the power of God. Missionaries may be persecuted, spit on, yelled at, cursed at, and many other unpleasant things. They may even be put into unpleasant situations that they must learn from. As long as they have God behind them though they will always be ok and nothing can stop the work.
I love all of you and truly desire that all my friends and family continue striving towards Christ. This is the only way that we can receive eternal happiness and its the only way we can be with our families for time and all eternity. I know this church is true I know Christ is our Savior and I know Heavenly Father loves all of His children.
My new missionary ( Elder Excilus) who I will be training still is not here yet so please pray that he will get better so we can accomplish miracles here in Harlem.
Love you all and best wishes to everybody.
Love
Elder Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment